Abraham Ribicoff was born in New Britain, Connecticut, on 9th April, 1910. Ribicoff's parents were Jewish parents from Poland.
Ribicoff obtained degrees from New York University and the University of Chicago in 1933. Ribicoff, a member of the Democratic Party, served two terms as a representative to the Connecticut House of Representatives (1938-1942). He also served two terms as a police court judge in Hartford, Connecticut.
In 1948 Ribicoff was elected to the US House of Representatives. Although he was defeated in his 1952 bid for the US Senate, he was elected Governor of Connecticut and served two terms (1955-61).
Ribicoff was a supporter of John F. Kennedy and in 1961 was appointed as Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare. In this post he advocated programs such as Medicare, Youth Fitness and Equal Employment Opportunity. A few months after resigning from the Cabinet in 1962, he was elected to the Senate, and then reelected in 1968 and 1974. In the Senate, Ribicoff promoted consumer protection legislation, pollution controls and aid to cities.
Ribicoff was concerned by corruption in Congress. For example, the Suite 8F Group also did very well out of the escalation of the Vietnam War. They formed a new company called RMK-BRJ to obtain these contracts. This included Halliburton who took over Brown & Root in 1962. These contracts included building jet runways, dredging channels for ships, hospitals, prisons, communications facilities, and building American bases from Da Nang to Saigon. RMK-BRJ did 97% of the construction work in Vietnam. The other 3% went to local Vietnamese contractors. Between 1965 and 1972 Brown & Root (Halliburton) alone obtained revenues of $380 million from its work in Vietnam. Ribicoff attempted to expose this scandal. He claimed that millions was being paid in kickbacks. An investigation by the General Accounting Office discovered that by 1967 RMK-BRJ had “lost” $120 million. However, GAO never managed to identify the people obtaining these kickbacks.
While in the Senate he served on the committees on Government Operations and on Governmental Affairs. In 1968 Ribicoff created great controversy by accusing Chicago Mayor Richard Daley of using "Gestapo" tactics at the Democratic National Convention. An opponent of the Vietnam War, Ribicoff supported George McGovern during his presidential campaign.
In 1981, Ribicoff retired from the Senate and took a position as special counsel to the New York law firm of Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hays & Handler.
Abraham Ribicoff died in New York City on 22nd February, 1998 and was interned at Cornwall Cemetery, Connecticut.
Schwartz is the U.S. Representative for Pennsylvania's 13th congressional district, serving since 2005. She is a member of the Democratic Party. The district includes parts of Montgomery County and Northeast Philadelphia. She is also National Chair for Recruitment and Candidate Services for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.
Beilenson is a former Democratic congressman from West Los Angeles. He served from 1977 to 1995.
is an American politician and the 55th and current Mayor of Chicago. He was formerly White House Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama. He served as senior advisor to President Bill Clinton from 1993 to 1998 and as a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Illinois's 5th congressional district, from 2003 until his resignation in 2009 to take his position in the Obama Administration.
Meyer was born in to a Jewish family in Natchez, Mississippi. During the Civil War, Meyer served on the staff of Brigadier General John Stuart Williams of Kentucky and attained the rank of assistant adjutant general.
Weiner is a former and disgraced Democratic Congressman from Brooklyn. Represented Charles Schumers old district. Anthony is a somewhat unusual name for a Jewish guy. His mother told him, Dont worry about your name. It will confuse Jewish girls, but your Italian voters will love it.
London was a Jewish American politician from New York City. He was one of only two members of the Socialist Party of America elected to the United States Congress.
Former Senator from Conn. Stared Mayor Daley down at 1968 Demo. Convention. Denounced Gestapo tactics in the streets of Chicago.
Republican Senator from Pennsylvania (current). Raised in the same Kansas town as Bob Dole. Ran for Republican Pres. nomination in 96; pretty hopeless since hes liberal for a Rep., pro-choice, and, dare we say it? Jewish.
Demo. Senator from California (current). Very liberal. 1st election victory aided by revelation that her "traditional values" opponent liked to go to topless bars.